Sunday 10 April 2016

The Fourth Makeup One- Contouring.

 Hello hello, two Blog posts this weekend because yesterdays was so short. Today we move on to Contouring.

 I love a good contour. I love watching videos on it and seeing all the different products that people use to create a flawless look. I love how it can just change the shape of your face and hide certain insecurities from the world. I also don't always have the time to follow these step by step processes, that can sometimes seem to go on for a while. When I'm rushing and getting ready for work I need quick products I can grab with quick end results. And alas I have found them. So let's begin.

  I have two different contouring regimes, one's a powder one and the other is liquid. I know with contouring alot of people are either strictly powder or strictly liquid which is why I wanted to try them both out.

 When I first started contouring I didn't really know how to work it so therefore wanted a cheap product I could practice with. I bought the Barry M Chisel Cheeks Contour Palette which consists of three powders. I got this because I like the Barry M range for when I'm shopping on a lower budget. Plus this also had a step by step guide on the inside lid to show me what to do and how to use it. Unfortunately I don't have a picture to include because I left it in a makeup bag full of products I barely use which I then left at A friend's house. But you can view an image here.

 Like I said it has three powders, a light one for highlighting, a medium brown for bronzing and a dark brown for sculpting. You pop the light powder over your cheekbones, chin and along your nose up to the centre of your forehead, Basically anywhere you want to accentuate. The bronzing you sweep over anywhere the sun would naturally hit and then tan so your cheeks forehead and nose. The dark brown powder you put along the hollows of you cheeks, blending out to the ears and along the hairline and also down the sides of your nose. It doesn't include a brush but I used my Real Techniques Contour Brush to apply and then my Real Techniques Buffing Brush to blend. I also used my Real Technique Foundation Brush to apply the dark brown along my nose- I am aware that this isn't what it's meant for but I found that as it's a thinner brush it easier to use here. You can get those brushes here as a set for £21.99. However if you don't want to fork out I also use a nose shadow brush aswell as a contour brush from a cheap set of brushes I picked up for £1.91 here. You get a set of 20 so obviously value for money.
The brushes I use to contour.

 Now the cost of this contour palette is £6.49, so definitely affordable, plus you get instructions on the inside of the lid. These are definitely bonuses however I feel that's where they end. The highlighting powder doesn't really do anything and you really need to build it up. I also find that it's quite hard to blend and it definitely takes a while to blend out. If you're short on time this isn't what you want. I also don't think it really contours I'd say it's more of a bronzer product and this is what I ended up using it for in the end.

 This put me off contouring for a while but I got back in the game with two products that aren't meant for contouring per say but I used them both for this reason. If you've read more than one of my posts you'll know that I love Benefits Hoola Bronzer which can be found here for £23.50. I would apply this to the hollows of my cheeks, in the T zone that the sun would naturally hit, along my jawline, down the side of my nose and also in two spots from where my eyebrow ends to my hairline. I would then blend this with my Real Techniques Buffing Brush. I would then pair this with a concealer, the one in question here being Maybelline Instant Anti Age- The Eraser Eye concealer, which can be found here for £7.99, with there being an offer on at Boots with buy 1 get the 2nd product half price on Maybelline so definitely check that out. I would apply this in two upside down triangles under my eyes, on my cheekbones, around my lips, and in a heart shape starting at my eyebrows and going down to my chin, I would then blend this with my Real Techniques Beauty Blender.


Benefits Hoola Bronzer and Maybelline Eraser Eye Concealer.

 Pros are that these are both really good products, they both blend well aswell. With the bronzer you get a brush included with is long and flat so makes it easy to apply in places like down the sides of the nose or along the hollows of the cheeks. The down sides to this could be the price, if your shopping on a budget this could seem a little extravagant just for contouring. But I also use this as it's main purpose which is bronzing aswell. It lasts along time so you aren't constantly restocking, which is good at the price it is. The concealer is really easy to use, it comes with a sponge applied to it which you twist to make the product come out and then it's really easy to apply, it's also like a pen if that makes sense. It also gives great coverage which is always a bonus. If you don't like sponge applicators then that might put you off but if you can look past that it's definitely worth it. I don't really have any negatives myself except that it didn't least that long but that could be because I was using alot of product and often.
Benefits Hoola Bronzer
Sponge Applicator on Concealer.














 You might also not be thrilled at the idea of mixing a liquid and a powder to contour but it worked for me and I would definitely recommend. Also I realise that these products primary uses aren't for contouring but they work and that's all that matters.


 Moving on, I recently got bored of the whole powder for contour and wants a liquid contour kit for more dramatic looks for nights out etc. I stumbled across this little gem and was totally bought. This would be L'oreal Infalliable Sculpt Contouring Palette. On the back it says it's a cream to powder contour which sounded interesting and it also say you can go for a naturally defined to a dramatically sculpted look which sounded perfect because it meant I could use it for the day time aswell. It also has a diagram showing you where the shades should go aswell as instructions of how to apply it- great for beginners.Inside it comes with two shade a light one for highlighting and a darker one for sculpting, it also includes a mirror and the thing I loved most, more detailed instructions. It shows you how to apply the product in closer detail and also for your specific face shape which I loved as I haven't seen this with previous contouring palettes. It also comes in multiple languages so if you don't speak English (so therefore probably not reading my blog let's be honest) that's there for you.
Helpful instructions included.
A big selling point in my eyes.




The product itself goes on really nicely. The dark shade is my favourite it comes up really dark which I love, but if you don't do be scared because it blends out SO well. The lighter shade is also good but I do find I have to build it up a bit to get the colour I want. Like I just said both colours blend so well! I was surprised- especially with the darker shade at how well it blends and doesn't leave any streaks. I blend these two together again with my Real Techniques Beauty Blender.

L'Oreal Paris Infallible Sculpt, Contour
Palette
Sorry for the state of this. The inside of the
pallette.




  The negatives are because of the positives if that makes sense. I love this product but at £9.99 I feel like you should definitely get more product than what you do get. I got this palette a little over a month ago and as you can see from the images I have made a sizeable dent in it and it's not like I use this everyday. I don't really use it on a work day because I don't have the time to do so in the morning. So definitely not enough product. That is my only downfall with this product, but I do love it and will definitely be restocking up on it. If it sounds like something you'd enjoy get it here.

  I think if you're a beginner with contouring this would be a good product to use because there aren't loads of different shades to chose from and confuse you. It's simple plus there are detailed instructions for you. I got this in the shade medium/dark but I am quite light, I decided to go for this shade for when I tan etc. But even without a tan it doesn't look ridiculous. If you want a lighter look though there is a light/medium palette aswell.
Left- Light Highlighting shade
Right- Dark Sculpting shade.

 That's it. Contouring done. I hope you've found this helpful. I would definitely recommend all the products (bar the Barry M) I've spoken about on this post. But I'm always looking for a new contour kit, I did look at the NYX contour palette aswell as the Smashbox one. Has anyone used this that would recommend? Or any other good contouring kit? Especially for the more dramatic looks for nights out.

 As always please follow me on here. You can also catch me on Instagram here and Twitter here. I'm always thinking about new posts. I'm thinking my next makeup post might be either a Charlotte Tillbury haul or a foundation haul. I am also aware I do alot of Makeup posts I am trying to branch out in terms of skin and hair care so I can do more posts on those things aswell.

 Until then...
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment